Small Spaces = Challenge & Smart Thoughtful Design = Fun !!!


When I came to PV I found myself at some point looking for a rental close to Olas Altas. I found a studio, tiny indeed but with a lot of potential. I love challenges and in no time I began pondering the options on how to turn it into a functional y beautiful space. I had lived in a "japanese capsule" type of studio when I had just graduated, the location was unbeatable. Everything was within walking distance and my favorite sushi place and the 100% natural restaurant were a short two block distance. So early on I developed skills for organizing and decorating small spaces that I though might come very handy in this new studio. Now, I gotta say that my stay in that studio was cut short when I realized that it had a moisture problem. I later found out that it is a common issue here in PV. But that was far from being acceptable. On the second day the air was flooded with a strong musky smell. On the 3rd day the walls were already growing mold. I talked to the land lady and got to an agreement. I packed and left.

After this experience I found some other places, roomier or just a small as that studio. But being small doesn't mean that it wont work. I'll share a video from a series called Small Space, Big Style which I bet many of you are familiar with. In this episode they show key factors on how to make a tiny place liveable and comfy. For starters, every single element going into a small area needs to be multy-purpose. There is a big opportunity in the designing of the furniture to find how storage space can be incorporated into it. Light colors on the walls reflect more light and make the space look airier. Notice how the bed showcased lacks a base, this makes the eye see more free floor space, it doesn't stop abruptly. The kitchen cabinets go all the way up to maximize storage. There is one thing that also makes a lot of sense here, all the wooden furniture is painted in just one color: white. Had they been painted in several colors or stains the place would look awkward and with no taste. They sticked to a small palette and it does the trick to make the place look harmonious. 

I guess that challenges like these sprouted my love for carpentry. And even when I lived in very spacious places I always looked for those tiny spaces that can always be improved, like the pantry, closets, laundry room, garage and attic. After all it's about making it look good, organized and making things easier for oneself. Don't you agree?



Conchas Chinas, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit, BucerĂ­as, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, El Anclote, Punta Mita, LitibĂș, Sayulita, San Pancho, San Frnacisco, Nayarit, Jalisco.